Super Maxi Development

Virtual Skipper 5 offer the possibility to import own boat 3D models.<br>
3D artists and players can now meet here to share models and advices.<br>
Virtual Skipper 5 offre la possibilité d'importer vos propres modèles 3D de bateaux.<br>
Les artistes 3D et les joueurs peuvent maintenant se réunir ici pour partager leurs modèles et conseils.
RacecaR
mousse

Super Maxi Development

Post by RacecaR »

Hi there,

I thought I'd create a topic for my Super Maxi development.

Here are some teasers:

RacecaR
mousse

Post by RacecaR »

I've got some general refinement to complete and details such as runners yet to go. The major thing now is sail design and what they'll look like on the model.

Attached is a picture of what I'm thinking the sails could look like but I'd like your opinions - there's a blank one to draw your own!

Yellow = Mainsail
Red = Kite (4)
Blue = Code0 (3)
Light Green = Light Jib (2)
Dark Green = Heavy Jib (1)

The heavy jib shape came from here: http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201012/r694696_5267089.jpg

I'm thinking that the kite will be purely downwind sailing with the Code0 being versatile - heavy downwind, light upwind/reaching... We'll wait and see!
RacecaR
mousse

Post by RacecaR »

Further updates:

Probably enough updates for today :lol:
RacecaR
mousse

Post by RacecaR »

I attempted the conversion to .3ds today - no luck. I had the MainSail tree failure that many others have had in the past.

However I may have found a way around it:

Using this script: http://en.tm-wiki.org/wiki/Creating_Cus ... h_Freeware

and Blender 2.49.

Through this I was able to complete the conversion to .3ds successfully but when loading the model into the game and attempting to sail, the screen went black and failed to do anything. I believe that this was a Blender version error as I opened the mesh (Blender 2.7) in a 2.49 version as a quick test. The eventual zip of 7kb makes me think that this was the error.

I'm planning on downloading 3dsMAX to speed the conversion process - its a proven method, but I'll continue trying the blender method to see if I can come up with a solution.
Southern Cross VSK Sail No. 68
RacecaR
mousse

Post by RacecaR »

Had some issues with the blender conversion. Model was able to be imported in the end but had numerous errors and I lost interest in the end.

I've got my hands on 3DS MAX 2013 so I should rip along now.
RacecaR
mousse

Post by RacecaR »

3ds MAX is an excellent bit of software, very powerful but can be a bit tedious to use when making complex meshes. A combination of blender and 3ds worked fairly well I believe. Anyway, I had a fairly successful import into 3ds MAX. Several meshes, namely rails and rigging were dodgy so I replaced them. The model sizing was also way off the mark, so I scaled everything to the correct sizing.

All I need to do now is a general tidy up, design sails and name the meshes correctly so I can begin exporting :)
JHL
Matelot

Post by JHL »

This is fantastic. I'd hoped for a big boat for a long while.

What are LWL and LOA?
Liese
Matelot

Sail problem

Post by Liese »

Hi ,
did you manage to get the main sail visible?

Best regards,
Joerg
RacecaR
mousse

Post by RacecaR »

JHL wrote:This is fantastic. I'd hoped for a big boat for a long while.

What are LWL and LOA?
Boat will be 30m long - bases loosely off of Wild Oats XI.
Liese wrote:Hi ,
did you manage to get the main sail visible?

Best regards,
Joerg
I have managed to get the boat working correctly in VSK. Sails are showing as well. My problem now is that the mainsail bends away from the mast at different angles - the mast has a curve. Looking at this topic: http://www.virtualskipper.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3858 it appears the solution is to lower the mast bend. More testing....
JHL
Matelot

Post by JHL »

I hope this boat is finished one day.
RacecaR
mousse

Post by RacecaR »

Hi JHL,

A busy University semester stopped me from making any great progress from my last post however the boat is in-game and I'm working on the boat characteristics. Some model work is still required including getting the DeckZ right so water covers the hull appropriately.

I re-designed the mast so that it is straight. This fixed the issue of the mainsail moving away from the mast when moving. Other sails including Code0 and Assymetrical spinnaker need to be redesigned with depth so they look like proper sails in the game. Apart from that, its general Boat Paameter adjustment to make the thing actually work in the game.

If I cannot find the time to finish the project, I'll upload all files I currently have here with a free-licence so that anyone may take up the challenge and finish the boat.
JHL
Matelot

Post by JHL »

I'm sure it's an enormous effort, RacecaR, and you are commended for it. Best of outcomes, and I'm looking forward to some nice long offshore (virtual) racing with this big guy.
RacecaR
mousse

Post by RacecaR »

I've given it some thinking and I just can't see myself finishing this project.

Therefore I freely make available the mesh to be used by someone to make this model for VSK.

Here is the download link to the two files I was using, feel free to use them in whatever way you seem fit. File is .3ds mesh:

http://1drv.ms/1AvZzOl