J-Class Project

Virtual Skipper 5 offer the possibility to import own boat 3D models.<br>
3D artists and players can now meet here to share models and advices.<br>
Virtual Skipper 5 offre la possibilité d'importer vos propres modèles 3D de bateaux.<br>
Les artistes 3D et les joueurs peuvent maintenant se réunir ici pour partager leurs modèles et conseils.
C Carlos
mousse

J-Class Project

Post by C Carlos »

Hi everybody ...

This post will sound familiar to many, but here we go anyway in case somebody is interested...

Having decided to make a try in creating a J-Class for vsk5, I started the modeling phase with Blender, getting the hull ready for testing.

At this point, I wanted to make a first try in importing to vsk5, so the procedure was as follows:

1.- I took the SampleBoat that comes with VskBoatImporter2 and imported it into Blender. Objects, Meshes and Materials naming convention is found correct.

2.- SampleBoat hull is substituted by the J-Class hull.

3.- Convert the .blend file to .3ds by means of Blender "3ds_export.py" script.

4.- The import phase with VskBoatImporter2 fails with a famous error message that reads "Can't find tree MainSail on solid".

Ok. After having names re-checked correct in the .blend file, I then took the initially exported file (.3ds) and re-imported it into Blender just to discover that such "3ds_export.py" script re-names the objects, thus ruining the process.

I think there is many people who would like a J-Class in VSK, so if there is a Python Guru who can fine-tune the above mention script, it will be appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Carlos
kiwi_bardy
Amiral

Post by kiwi_bardy »

Hi, great to hear you working on the J Class. I would LOVE to see a finished J Class in VSK.

Is this a new J Class proje3ct, or a continuation of/restart of the vsk-fun J Class project? There is already a very very good J class 3D model imported into the game. It's got templates made for it and some very good skins. I am not sure if it was ever completed and released... does anyone know? I think Lennart at vsk-fun was working on it...?

I have sailed the beta and the XML and 3DS is pretty good, although perhaps it was still being tweaked and perfected?

I am not trying to burst your bubble... I just thought if the previous J Class was in fact not finished, it might save you a lot of time and effort to enquire as to whether you could pick the model up and finish it off...

I have some screenshots of some skins made by Duane which are things of beauty. I will add them tonight when I get home.