Americas Cup

Whatever you want to talk about, do it right here!

Anticipation
Matelot

Americas Cup

Post by Anticipation »

http://33rd.americascup.com/en/index.ph ... ressPage=1

Can someone explain to me what is happening with the Americas Cup series,Louis Vitton Cup ect....

It looks as though the finalists are already picked judging on the link supplied.

Can someone tell me what this is all about, it's all very confusing....

Cheers
Aquabat
Capitaine

Post by Aquabat »

Its a big big mess ....

To cut a very very long story short .. . BMW Oracle and Alinghi have a big big argument and spent the last few years in court. There seems to a bit of movement now though and they plan to race early next year, but just the two of them. In fact I would not hold my breath .....I would put a bit of money on the two team ending up in court again over boat measurement and the like.

Best to use google to get the full details ....

Its a real shame...
Rob
najevi
Capitaine

Post by najevi »

Bring back the old 12 meter class for the cup challenge and put the cup back in the reach of "mere millionaires" instead of the current "billionaire boy's club".

So much money spent in court (not to mention the boat yards and sail lofts) and yet here is Nadeo/Ubisoft struggling to fund development of a related product that might actually spur interest in a fun outdoor sport ... especially among a generation raised on computer and TV console game play.

If some renewable energy style technology benefit was to be realized from the money spent on research and design for the various syndicates then I'd cheer them on. However, the impression I got from about the time when the ACC was introduced is that the rich kids wanted to price the mere mortals out of the game. At that point I began to lose interest in the competition and lost respect for the syndicates.
it's better to spin and fin' than to fit and quit! Image
Aquabat
Capitaine

Post by Aquabat »

I am not sure that its ever really been a game for mere mortals .. even when the J Classes were around. Even in the days of the 12 meters the guys paying the $$$$ were the likes of Ted Turner / Alan Bond / Peter de Savery / Bill Koch and a whole host of others .. and remember there were lots of court cases too..

I think that the Cup management needs to be separated from the teams. I think that might go a long way to stopping the petty squabbles. The teams should have nothing to do with organizing / managing the race, all they need to do is turn up at the start and do what they do best ... race ..

Rob
Rob
Very Crankie Yankee
Amiral

Post by Very Crankie Yankee »

''
Last edited by Very Crankie Yankee on 04 Jan 2010, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Aquabat
Capitaine

Post by Aquabat »

I wonder if we will have to wait for the 34th Cup .. with many more teams, countries ... and overall interest for the TV rights / advertising and sports reporting.
Rob
CANKnot

Post by CANKnot »

Aquabat wrote:I would put a bit of money on the two team ending up in court again over boat measurement and the like.
It's almost comical (almost). The last I heard the measurement rules Alinghi came up with disqualified Oracle's boat!

UBI should release 33rd America's Cup-The Game (although I doubt UBI/Nadeo will ever pay the licensing fees for the name again) You would spend 98% of your time in courtroom and then 2% playing some ridiculous arcade sailing game... That should be a pretty good "simulation" of this event. :D
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.
fosterbarry
Amiral

Post by fosterbarry »

CANKnot wrote:..........That should be a pretty good "simulation" of this event. :D
Smile... it's good for the face!
najevi
Capitaine

Post by najevi »

CANKnot wrote:You would spend 98% of your time in courtroom and then 2% playing some ridiculous arcade sailing game... :D
Slightly different numbers but I often see ~80% whining/finger-pointing and kick-banning in chat while only ~20% of starters finish a race. So maybe the current sim has the "sport" modeled about right!

;-) (slight exaggeration for effect)
it's better to spin and fin' than to fit and quit! Image
billybrain
mousse

Post by billybrain »

It is really a big Mess. I think it is the matter of the shame for all the Americans that happened in the American Cup.
pumpkin
Matelot

Post by pumpkin »

BMW Oracle Racing USA 17 wins race #1! Delta 15:28.

http://bmworacleracing.com/en/news/live ... index.html

Alinghi....... say goodbye to the America's Cup. :)

Maybe we will have a real 34th America's Cup like Aquabat has described....
Aquabat wrote:I wonder if we will have to wait for the 34th Cup .. with many more teams, countries ... and overall interest for the TV rights / advertising and sports reporting.
pumpkin
Matelot

Post by pumpkin »

BMW Oracle USA 17 wins race # 2. Delta 5:26.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The America's Cup is now back in the hands of the United States of AMERICA.
California
mousse

Post by California »

Frankly I’m glad the cup is no longer with the SNG. Hopefully the madness will end, but we’ll see. :)
pumpkin
Matelot

Post by pumpkin »

California wrote:Frankly I’m glad the cup is no longer with the SNG. Hopefully the madness will end, but we’ll see. :)
Everything is still up in the air at this point. But judging by what Larry and others on BOR have said, the 34th cup should be a fantastic event with independent authorities governing the entire campain. Not to mention how they hope to increase the overall popularity and enthusiasm through TV, press, radio, etc...

In my opinion Larry and BOR are a class act as opposed to Ernesto who seemed to be a sore loser. I bet he (Ernesto) regrets awakening the "sleeping giant". Sailing is finaly coming back to main street USA!

I'm hoping it will be held at Newport. If that will be the case my chances of witnessing an America's Cup event in my lifetime will be greatly increased. :D
California
mousse

Post by California »

It sounds like if they can get the site from the city, it will be held in the SF Bay Area. Newport would be a good choice too, being a better sailing town onshore, and its long history with the cup, which would make it interesting. I would give the Bay Area the edge for being a better and more scenic sailing venue though.

I’m curious to see what will happen on the boat front too.