[VSK5] World Map for VSK5

Virtual Skipper 5 offer the possibility to import own boat 3D models.<br>
3D artists and players can now meet here to share models and advices.<br>
Virtual Skipper 5 offre la possibilité d'importer vos propres modèles 3D de bateaux.<br>
Les artistes 3D et les joueurs peuvent maintenant se réunir ici pour partager leurs modèles et conseils.
maitai
Amiral

[VSK5] World Map for VSK5

Post by maitai »

The first map based on custom blocks is out! Please read carefully the instructions when installing. Also, when hosting the map online, please make sure you use a password for both players and spectators. The password by default is "world".

The reason for that is that people trying to join such a race without having installed the custom blocks will see VSK shuting down.

Have fun,

Credits:

Maitai: 3d, xml and other tricks
Omr: races, winds, intro and lot more
Duane: skin

Philo, Manu, Sonsplif, Camster and Rafat: beta-testing
Last edited by maitai on 28 Jan 2009, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Camster
Vieux loup de mer

Post by Camster »

It seems to me that it was an incedible leap of imagination to have the idea to make a map in this way. It truly is something completely different for VSK and the result is a huge credit to Maitai with a big input from Omr & Duane.

Amazing. It's a 'must-have' download for all addicts of this game.

8)
kiwi_bardy
Amiral

Post by kiwi_bardy »

We had the pleasure of racing the round the world course with the Groupama3 today. It was a real pleasure to see the GP3 unleashed in the environment it was made for...
ProfSerious
mousse

Post by ProfSerious »

Finally got the map to work. I have the free version of VSK5, so, i'll have to wait to make my own races on it till i can afford the full version.

Does anyone know the visual scale (ratio) of the map to real-world?!

this is what i figured out so far...

By my calculations, sailing on the world map is 1600x faster than in real-world...

First of all, lets establish that 1200 nautical miles would take 80 hours going 15 knots in real-world.

Inside VSK5, on the world map, traveling at an average boat speed of 15 knots per hour over 3 minutes (180 seconds) is about equivalent to 1200 nautical miles.

To find our real-world speed (equivalent to the in-game speed of 15 knots per hour):
180 sec / 1200 miles = 6.66 nautical miles per second = 400 knots per second = 24000 knot per hour

Then divide the different speeds to find the ratio between them:
24000/15 = 1600

And to double check the work:
The ratio of 80 hours to 180 seconds is...
1600:1

this is a very rough estimate and a lot more testing needs to be done, frankly because i only ran a few tests. With a lot more data we can narrow it down. Point is, the equations are all here, we just need to keep pluggin in those numbers to average it out. I also did round a little bit, but it was crude sailing from the beginning. So i see this as more of a starting point for more research, rather than trying to present any definite conclusions.

Cheers,
Eric
fosterbarry
Amiral

Post by fosterbarry »

The world map was constructed using the vsk Nordic Map. The maximum size of any Nordic Map is 20km x 20km. The map is a brilliant piece of vsk innovation however all the features you see are packed onto that 20 x 20 map. I wouldn't worry about virtual speeds.... just enjoy.
Smile... it's good for the face!
ProfSerious
mousse

Post by ProfSerious »

fosterbarry wrote:The world map was constructed using the vsk Nordic Map. The maximum size of any Nordic Map is 20km x 20km. The map is a brilliant piece of vsk innovation however all the features you see are packed onto that 20 x 20 map. I wouldn't worry about virtual speeds.... just enjoy.

Thanx for the info... though I'm not worried... and im definitely enjoying it. :-)

There is a slight discrepancy, cuz the VSK world map does have two americas, which seems to overlap 10-20% of the map, but that still has to be figured out... so in the mean time...

If the map's surface area is 400km2 (four-hundred kilometers squared), than i could just use that to divide the earth's surface area: 510,072,000 km2 (im-not-going-to-write-that-all-out kilometers squared).

SIZE RATIO (w/ 2x americas):
1,275,180 : 1

Cheers,
Eric
kiwi_bardy
Amiral

Post by kiwi_bardy »

It's got two Africas and two Europe's too...