[VSK5] RC44 is released

Virtual Skipper 5 offer the possibility to import own boat 3D models.<br>
3D artists and players can now meet here to share models and advices.<br>
Virtual Skipper 5 offre la possibilité d'importer vos propres modèles 3D de bateaux.<br>
Les artistes 3D et les joueurs peuvent maintenant se réunir ici pour partager leurs modèles et conseils.
Witch Doctor
Capitaine

Post by Witch Doctor »

I was going to say it was the force bloom setting, but i suppose motion blur will do it, too. I'd turn off both of those and let your card handle those effects. You should be able to turn it wide open and feel the spray. Good luck.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart!
danish dynamite
Matelot

Post by danish dynamite »

hey guys

first of all...great boat.

How does the rule engine work ?
It seems that RC44 and Melges has the same pen problems.
I have seen stb boats ramed by port boats, and the stb boat is getting pen'ed. The same happens in the melges class.
Any idear why this happen ?
I know that we see bad pens in the AC class, but not as often.

Danish Dynamite
andynz

Post by andynz »

My view is that like in VSK4 the rules engine assumes your sailing an ACC and that the rules engine sees the size of all boats the same as an ACC.

So you could be sailing a 40 foot model but the circle of rules influence puts you in an 70 foot model.

I am not a modeller so I don't know if the XML file has a parameter for this - if not then it is hard coded in the game in which case you almost definately need to allow way more room in a small boat than you would normally. :)
maitai
Amiral

Post by maitai »

Hopefully no. There is a special mesh dedicated to that, which is the "envelope" of your boat. You have to cover both under water and mast, to be ok.
andynz

Post by andynz »

maitai wrote:Hopefully no. There is a special mesh dedicated to that, which is the "envelope" of your boat. You have to cover both under water and mast, to be ok.
Thanks for clearing that up for me Maitai. I had the experienced the same problem as Soren in various models and made my assumption - glad to know that now :)
TOM2
mousse

envelope Body

Post by TOM2 »

Hello together,

the envelope Mesh with mast, hull and keel is in the model, and is correct.

VSK use this body to calculate collisions between boats and other bodies.

In vsk4 we see the same problem. If the boat is faster vsk have a problem to

calculate the pens

There are no parameters in the xml to fix the problem.

TOM
danish dynamite
Matelot

Post by danish dynamite »

Thx guys :D
admiral
Amiral

Post by admiral »

Any idear why this happen ?
Check this theory:

the definition of clear and room is narrower then the conditions allow.

The inherent latency in online sailing is compensated for the acc in the rule engine. With faster boats (especially when considering speed vs size ratio) the definition of clear and room is to narrow, aka the boats are colliding or even have already passed eachother before the umpire has a chance to discover a collision... it leads to wrong pens (who colided with who as well as no pens where normally there should have been) the only way to change this is to broaden the collsion detection mesh in accordance with the speed, and expected latency. Or change the room and clear treshholds in the rule engine some how.

If you want close sailing, aka inches to spare, there is no remedy but to get rid of the latency. Otherwise the Umpire should define room and clear as function of boat size, boat speed, and turning speed, combined with latency and the time the umpire needs to asses the situation and make up its mind.

Width and length are parameters in the Boatparams independant of the size of the wireframe of the model. Unless there's anything else
boatlength would be needed to determine 2BL circle
width would be needed to.. fit 2 boats next to eachother? So yes there may be some fiddling possible in the Boatparam.xml that influences the rule engine..... Be warned however any compromising from reality will cause trouble when close sailing on a tight network.
maitai
Amiral

Post by maitai »

<BoatWidth> is needed only in case of a Trimaran, to be able to compensate the heel together with the <ExtraHullHeightDelta> param. There is no parameter for the boat length, a part from the <pos0> and <pos1> in the windshadows section. Anyway modifying these 2 parameters has no influence on the rule engine, and <pos0> and <pos1> have in fact nothing to do with the "real" length of the boat in all the boatparam files I know.

I think the only thing that matter for the rule engine is the mesh "surface". That said it is true that a heavy model with many details will generate more lag than a light one, and if on top of it the boat is fast there is a chance VSK will wrongly estimate the position of the boats, resulting in strange pens.
GibboAus
Matelot

Post by GibboAus »

Hi TOM, again mate great boat!!!.

I've put together an updated Template file in the downloads section at vsk-aus.com

I separated out some sail sections etc just a little more detail to make life easier. I hope this helps all the skinners out there.

This isn't the last version of this so any hints or suggestions on the skin would be appreciated!
Gibbo
TOM2
mousse

Skintemplate

Post by TOM2 »

Hi Gibbo,

I read your message at vsk-aus. Thx for the Template. I will download the File :-)

TOM