Fireball Mark 2 Beta - Testers wanted!

Virtual Skipper 4 offer the possibility to import own boat 3D models.<br>
3D artists and players can now meet here to share models and advices.<br>
Virtual Skipper 4 offre la possibilité d'importer vos propres modèles 3D de bateaux.<br>
Les artistes 3D et les joueurs peuvent maintenant se réunir ici pour partager leurs modèles et conseils.

GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

Will
You can get Freeship at http://www.delftship.net/
The Boat Importer is on the VSK4 Tools section of Virtual Winds.
http://www.virtual-winds.com/modules/news/
You will need to register at both.
Have a look at the Boat Importer and Modelling threads here and at VSK Aus. La Taverne at Virtual Winds is good if you can speak French, and they will help in English if you have any really tricky problems.
There are some drawings for a Merlin at http://www.bluelightning.co.uk/Merlins/hazardous.htm
GBR13697
WillGBR
mousse

Post by WillGBR »

wow how complecating iv downloaded it but how do i find out the water resistance and stuff cheers
GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

Don't worry about it! It's virtual water in VSK4, and it hasn't got any resistance! Freeship is just the easiest application for making the basic design of the hull etc. But be warned, it is all complicated, and very frustrating. Any VSK custom boat is a really big project, but very satisfying if successful. I was held up for weeks at a time on the Fireball, with what turned out to be the simplest of problems, like having a mesh called Waterline instead of WaterLine (spot the difference?).
If you do embark on it, keep lots of incremental backups of all your design stages. It helps a lot to be able to go back, or lift a particular bit out of an old backup. Also keep all you main components in different layers so you can separate them easily, particularly the mast and rig (you will find out why in the later stages).
Good Luck
GBR13697
Rs200
Capitaine

Post by Rs200 »

Nigel,

The template is Ok but it comes withouyt an Alpha channel for the sails?
Harry
GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

RS200
As I said, the template is pretty basic. It really just shows you where bits are. You can link alpha channels to any areas of colour you apply, but I didn't see it as appropriate to put them in to the templates. The skinners would do a far better job of this than I would, and I see it as part of the skinning process, just like applying colour. I did apply transparency to the sails of one of the supplied skins, and just blacked over the sail numbers (not very successfully!).
Do other templates come with alpha channels? I have not done any skinning so I wouldn't know.
GBR13697
Rs200
Capitaine

Post by Rs200 »

Some do some don't.

Don't worry Nigle it's a minor point. Given me the opertunity to learn more about alpha channels!
Harry