Creating 3D Models

Virtual Skipper 4 offer the possibility to import own boat 3D models.<br>
3D artists and players can now meet here to share models and advices.<br>
Virtual Skipper 4 offre la possibilité d'importer vos propres modèles 3D de bateaux.<br>
Les artistes 3D et les joueurs peuvent maintenant se réunir ici pour partager leurs modèles et conseils.

aLFaDaRK
mousse

Creating 3D Models

Post by aLFaDaRK »

Would it be possible for someone to explain to me how to create 3D models to import into VSK4?

I have 3D Studio Max 8, AC3D, and Blender, but I'm not sure which of these is best for making models for VSK4, and not sure exactly what requirements, etc. are needed in order to create these models.

Any help would be great, thanks. :)
GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

Good luck! I have been trying to get a 3d model to work in VSK for months!
Download the Boat Importer from Virtual Winds. The Notes and the Sample Boat will give you a good idea what is required. You must use 3DS Max for the final 3ds model for import.
I started with FreeShip (freeware) to get the basic hull and deck. I also made the mast and rig in Freeship.
Then export/import into 3DS Max using the .obj file format. You can then refine the model, and make sails. A lot of care is required for pivot points on the sails. Then export your meshes to Solid.3ds before using the Boat Importer. I have got this far, and my boat appears on the Settings screen where you can choose your skin. However, the boat will not work in a test race - screen just goes black. Let me know if you find a way around this.
GBR13697
aLFaDaRK
mousse

Post by aLFaDaRK »

Oh dear, this sounds much more complex than I had hoped :lol:

Is there something that must be done to apply the skin in 3Ds Max before exporting to the Solid.3DS? Otherwise..how does it know where to place the skin?

Hmm I guess I'll look into freeship. :)

Thanks for the help.
GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

Skins come later. You can make templates for skins in 3DS Max, and then make matching skins in most photo applications. A lot of the boats already have templates if you just want to do skins - look in the Templates folder in Program Files\Virtual Skipper 4\Templates.
GBR13697
aLFaDaRK
mousse

Post by aLFaDaRK »

oh no no I can do skins just fine, a few of the skins I've made have become quite popular - I was just wondering how to make them work on a new model and whatnot.
harry4
mousse

Post by harry4 »

nono i have the boat importer but i cant use it what do i need?every time i use it it tells me that it cant find /templates/boats or something like that :shock: :?:
OhMonBato
Amiral

Post by OhMonBato »

You have your 3DS file and you XML file ? they must be in "My documents\32nd America's Cup\WorkVehicle" folder.
Pierre - OhMonBato
You want some fun ? Download the Melges Cube Image
nomhire
mousse

3D Studio Max

Post by nomhire »

I would really like to use 3D Studio Max. I want to learn to use it. If someone finds a really good tutorial, please let us know.

Greetings
tiscali broadband and networking home business uk only
unlimited 8mb from £6.49 per month. Earn money from promoting tiscali. http://www.tiscali-network.com/fastbroadband
GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

3D Studio Max has a lot of tutorials as part of the package. Just click on Help and Tutorials.
GBR13697
Patrick011
mousse

Re: Creating 3D Models

Post by Patrick011 »

aLFaDaRK wrote:Would it be possible for someone to explain to me how to create 3D models to import into VSK4?

I have 3D Studio Max 8, AC3D, and assurance chien Blender, but I'm not sure which of these is best for making models for VSK4, and not sure exactly what requirements, etc. are needed in order to create these models.

Any help would be great, thanks. :)
sory to don't see this new boat sooner.