Importing new custom boat model

Virtual Skipper 4 offer the possibility to import own boat 3D models.<br>
3D artists and players can now meet here to share models and advices.<br>
Virtual Skipper 4 offre la possibilité d'importer vos propres modèles 3D de bateaux.<br>
Les artistes 3D et les joueurs peuvent maintenant se réunir ici pour partager leurs modèles et conseils.

GBR13697
Capitaine

Importing new custom boat model

Post by GBR13697 »

I have been working on a new custom boat, and have reached the stage where I have a 3d model that looks reasonable in the Settings screen after importing into VSK.
However, if I try to start a race using the prototype, most of the screen goes black and the game almost seizes up. The instruments are still just about visible, but the race area is completely black.
I assume that there is something wrong with my 3d model that VSK does not like. Anyone know what it might be?
GBR13697
GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

No-one seems to respond to my boat modelling queries, but I will give it another try! Someone must know the answers, or we would not have all the custom boats.
I am starting to suspect that the 3d model may have to be "mapped" before it will work in VSK4. Am I correct, or just barking up the wrong tree? I was aware that it would need to be mapped before I could produce skinnable templates, but I thought it should work for prototype testing without mapping. However, the screen just goes black whenever I attempt a test race.
On the assumption that it does need mapping, I have tried unwrapping to 256x256 bitmaps on Channel 1:map, and the resulting UVW maps look very similar to those of the Boat Importer sample boat. But it still does not work.
Can anyone confirm that it must be mapped and, if so, what parameters to use?
GBR13697
Kwasi
Matelot

Post by Kwasi »

I guess your main problem is, that the modellers speak french or german :-)
GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

Sadly Kwasi, you are probably right. Looks like I am on my own.
GBR13697
Skiffie
Capitaine

Post by Skiffie »

GBR13697 wrote:Sadly Kwasi, you are probably right. Looks like I am on my own.
GBR13697
Try doing a Babelfish translation along with your English posting... :wink: