[VSK4] Laser-Standard - 2nd version from Tom

Virtual Skipper 4 offer the possibility to import own boat 3D models.<br>
3D artists and players can now meet here to share models and advices.<br>
Virtual Skipper 4 offre la possibilité d'importer vos propres modèles 3D de bateaux.<br>
Les artistes 3D et les joueurs peuvent maintenant se réunir ici pour partager leurs modèles et conseils.

Kwasi
Matelot

[VSK4] Laser-Standard - 2nd version from Tom

Post by Kwasi »

With best thnx to Tom, we would like to present his new boat, a Laser.
Maybe there will be an updated version, so check this thread again after a while.

Here is the download:
www.vivarace.de
Last edited by Kwasi on 23 Oct 2006, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
Rs200
Capitaine

Post by Rs200 »

Can anyone get it to install? I'm having trouble getting it inot the game, it appears in my custom, boats file, but not in the game?

Edit: Problem Fixed
Harry
D.D.
Matelot

Post by D.D. »

Rs200 wrote:Can anyone get it to install? I'm having trouble getting it inot the game, it appears in my custom, boats file, but not in the game?

Edit: Problem Fixed
same problem..won't show in game,...any solutions.?
Yo....D.D....yep that's me...
danish dynamite
Matelot

Post by danish dynamite »

Hi DD
did you put it in the right folder ?
if you can find it in the gamedata folder, it should work.
Rs200 fixed the problem...so did I
Best regards
Danish Dynamite
Kwasi
Matelot

Post by Kwasi »

When installing, make sure, you have selected the VSK folder.

for me this is:
games\vsk4 V1\Virtual Skipper 4
Rs200
Capitaine

Post by Rs200 »

for me it is Program files/Virtual Skipper 4/Gamedata/custom/Boats

Stick it in there and it should be fine...
Harry
GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

Good effort on the graphics, but it would be nice if it could be made to sail like a dinghy, particularly downwind. The cats have the same problem in VSK4. I haven't been able to work out the characteristics, but a dinghy probably needs to start with a heel to windward, and then reach maximum power when the wind pushes it upright. Any heel to leeward should reduce speed.
A Laser is normally sailed dead downwind, or slightly by the lee on a run. It will plane easily on a reach, but the downwind VMG will always be higher at 180 degrees.
Any way of customising the characteristics for a more accurate polar diagram?
GBR13697
Kwasi
Matelot

Post by Kwasi »

GBR13697 wrote: A Laser is normally sailed dead downwind, or slightly by the lee on a run. It will plane easily on a reach, but the downwind VMG will always be higher at 180 degrees.
I am not a Laser sailor, but i have heard quite different stuff from a professional australian Laser sailor.
We will get into it.
Any way of customising the characteristics for a more accurate polar diagram?
For sure, there will be a more realistic version. We just decided to give out the prerelease-link as it was widely demanded.
D.D.
Matelot

Post by D.D. »

problem solved.;)
Yo....D.D....yep that's me...
Rs200
Capitaine

Post by Rs200 »

Interesting discussion about it at vsk-aus.com here

http://www.vsk-aus.com/index.php?option ... pic=983.45

I can tell you that the VMG is always best for lasers going by th lee/ close to dead downwind. They do not do reaching angles. I have to say there are vast areas for improvement on the model, but it is great that you guys are taking on this tricky project.

Dave (gerbil racing) used to be one of the UK's top Laser sailors and coaches them, maybe he can give you some hints...

Planning66 is the best guy for help with modelling I think- IMo the hull looks great, but the mast and sails need work.
Harry
Kwasi
Matelot

Post by Kwasi »

well, ok, as said, the model is not done by myself, but I know the author has only few time to make improvements. So it is me, you have to talk to at the moment ;)
The boat is not perfect, of course. As sad, we just decided to publish it here as it was widely demanded.

I was reading the whole thread at vsk-aus.com
Somehow I can't login to the site, as my account is blocked, hehe.
Though that might not be that bad, as it would be easier to discuss all stuff that can be improved in this international forum.
I read, that some of you (especially you, Harry) are very unhappy with the boat, so just explain, how it should be and we will tell you, what we can do about it.
A speed data correction will be much easier than changing the look, btw.

We will for sure try to increase the surf
Rs200
Capitaine

Post by Rs200 »

Basically from what i understand the boat isn't a finished product- unboubtably willl be rough around the edges.

I think whilst the hull is great the rig looks odd, sail slighly out of shape, the leech opens excessively downwind, the boom should also be able to go out to 90 degrees from the boat.
The boat seems to handle like a keelboat with excessive heel upwind, maybe with 5 degrees max. upwind would be better.
Downwind the boat should be able to go dead downwind with a better VMG than with reaching angles. This potetntially makes vsk racing less tactical, but more realistic to the Laser- it depends what you are looking for.
I agree with you thta sailing characterisitcs are more important than it looking nice.
If you ever want an updated model testing with honest feedback there are 3 or 4 guys at VSK-Aus who are all experienced Laser sailors who can do some testing with reports. Just PM me for my e-mail.

don't take this as wehinging, I think anyone who can create4 amodle and put it in the game is great, certainly more than I can do. Just want the boat to be a clsoe to what I sail in real life, and to help you guys get the best model the game will allow.

Cheers,
Harry
Harry
GBR13697
Capitaine

Post by GBR13697 »

I agree - no criticism - just encouragement and gratitude! I think it will be very difficult to get anything to handle like a dinghy in VSK4 because the systems and parameters are all based on the original keelboats, i.e. fixed position ballast, and hulls designed to be sailed with heel.
Dinghys are best sailed dead upright, but this only happens if the moveable ballast (the crew!) is in the right place and the sails are sheeted correctly.
I doubt that the heel can be made realistic, but the polar diagram should be possible to correct. The new ACC2007 achieves a good VMG sailed at 170 TWA in stronger winds, as apposed to 140 TWA for most of the other boats. I don't agree that this reduces the tactical opportunities - just needs different tactics.
Incidentally, the Laser has caused VSK to crash twice on my system. After a few minutes sailing, the boat graphic goes wild and jiggles to all angles, whilst the instrument readings shoot up (786 knots!). It all stops after about 20 seconds, and the screen freezes, but I am still able to "Escape" out and return to the menu.
GBR13697
Kwasi
Matelot

Post by Kwasi »

Ok, first of all, let me say, that this is the first time, a bug is reported, that the laser is causing vsk to crash. Maybe it is an idea to publish the CrashLog File and ask Nadeo.

About sails and Mast:
The author does't speak english that well, but I have confronted him with the problem.
He is asking for pictures, where the difference is seen. He will get into this then.

About angles:
Ok, I trust in you about the angles.
Could you give a polar diagram about average speeds at F3-F7?
Should also contain some infomation about the heel, as you were mentioning before.
Rs200
Capitaine

Post by Rs200 »

Kwasi, if you personal message me the e-mail address of the author i can supply osme pictures of the difference. i will try to get hold of a polar diagram, but they are difficult to find for dinghies, why they are so difficult to model!
Harry